Los Angeles, CA. – 06/25/2018 — A wind-driven wildfire tore through rural Lake County in Northern California over the weekend, scorching 7,700 acres, prompting evacuations and destroying a dozen structures by Sunday afternoon while threatening hundreds more.
Roughly, residents of 600 homes in the remote area were ordered to pack up and leave. Those who stayed behind were urged to limit their water usage so it could be conserved for firefighting.
Lake County Sheriff’s Department and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said that, they ordered all of the small community of Spring Valley to evacuate Saturday evening, and on Sunday expanded the order to include residents who live north of Highway 20 between Old Long Valley Road and Round Ball Road.
The fire erupted shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday northeast of Clearlake Oaks in Lake County, roughly 70 miles north of Napa. Firefighters faced triple-digit heat as the blaze burned through steep, mountainous terrain covered by thick brush. It was one of several fires burning in the region, where a red flag warning was in effect.
Capt. Jordan Motta of Cal Fire said late Sunday, that “Right now, there’s fire burning actively in the hills behind all these homes,” He added that, “There’s fire right up to people’s homes around here.”
It’s unclear how many, if any, of the dozen destroyed structures were homes. According to the report, the blaze more than doubled Sunday afternoon when an onshore flow brought cooler temperatures and stronger winds from the Bay Area, at times gusting at up to 20 mph.
“It’s kind of a double-edged sword,” said Craig Shoemaker, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service out of Sacramento, adding that winds were expected to subside after 10 p.m. “We need those winds to die down.”
More than 230 firefighters responded to the blaze. Two water-dropping helicopters helped douse flames, allowing firefighters on the ground to get closer to the fire’s edge and attack flames directly.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Sheriff’s officials reminded residents who are evacuating to pack pets, phones and computers, prescriptions, photos and paperwork and urged residents to close their doors and windows before leaving. A shelter was opened at Lower Lake High School at 9430 Lake St.
- Tchekmedyian, Alene. (2018, June 22). 7,700-acre wildfire in Northern California prompts evacuations, destroys 12 structures and threatens hundreds more. Retrieved from: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-spring-valley-wildfire-20180624-story.html
- Photograph. (2018, June 25). The Associated Press. Thousands flee as flames race across dry rural California. Retrieved from: https://wtop.com/national/2018/06/california-wildfire-burns-12-buildings-threatens-hundreds/slide/6/
Latest posts by Michael D. (see all)
- Press Release Jet Shares An E-Book: How to Dominate Google Search Results Including SEO - July 2, 2018
- Northern California’s 700-acre wildfire destroys 12 structures and threatens hundreds more, prompts evacuations - June 25, 2018
- Eclectic American-Style Restaurant Opened in Westwood’s Oldest Buildings - June 21, 2018