Hosting the GAMIC finals at the 2018 WCX World Congress Experience was a perfect way to showcase these startups in an interactive environment – the Learning Lab – at the center of the show floor. – Marc LeDuc, Senior Content Development Specialist / Producer of The Exchange, SAE International
DETROIT April 26, 2018
After an eight-month process and more than four-dozen entrants, four companies were selected as Award Winners of the 2018 Global Automotive & Mobility Innovation Challenge (GAMIC) on April 10 at the SAE International WCX World Congress Experience. They will share over $360,000 in business acceleration services and cash awards. The winners are:
Category 1 – Vehicle Electrification; V2X and Advanced Mobility; Cyber-Security
- GhostWave manufactures ADAS radars immune from jamming and mutual interference, and radars which improve performance by discriminating between high priority and low priority objects. Columbus, Ohio http://www.GhostWave.com
Category 2 – Advanced Materials; Sensors & Actuators; Manufacturing Processes
- Spectalite! is an advanced engineering and materials manufacturer which engineers and manufactures lightweight, cost-effective, strong and durable, sustainable and eco-friendly plastics and composites incorporating bamboo. Detroit, Michigan http://www.Spectalite.com
Category 3 – Infotainment; Auto Consumer / Value Add; Value Chain / Business Model
- Parkofon’s all-in-one hands-free parking device removes the need for meters and other parking payment systems. Alexandria, Virginia http://www.Parkofon.com
Category 4 – New High-Value, Disruptive Technology Innovations
- Scientel IT Corp – Developer of the industry's first NoSQL DB, Scientel’s new SQL DB can process Big Data up to 1000 times faster, with massively parallel processing on HPC systems and Supercomputers. Novi, Michigan http://www.Scientel.com
PlanetM Best In Michigan Mobility Award
- Spectalite! Detroit, Michigan
“The GAMIC event continues to grow and improve. The quality of the presentations was outstanding. The improvement from the Quarter-finals to the Finals shows how our mentors from industry and from the entrepreneurial communities help these companies,” said David Stout, GAMIC co-founder and a volunteer leader in several roles within SAE International. “Our expansion to holding quarterfinal events in Silicon Valley and Ontario (Canada), to supplement Michigan, have strengthened the competitive field – especially with three virtual quarterfinals to handle companies from as far away as Turkey, UAE, the Netherlands, etc.
Our judges were impressed with the level of innovation presented, as well as with the broad array of our business acceleration awards. We look forward to helping the winning teams fast-track their commercialization. We intend to add additional quarterfinal sites again next year, for what will be the 11th annual GAMIC collaboration between SAE International and MI Innovation Alliance.”
“Hosting the GAMIC finals at the 2018 WCX World Congress Experience was a perfect way to showcase these startups in an interactive environment – the Learning Lab – at the center of the show floor” said Marc LeDuc, Senior Content Development Specialist / Producer of The Exchange, SAE International. “With the rate of new technological innovation, the need for faster product development and the global search of talent, SAE was excited to serve as a platform for these critical conversations between OEMs, Tier One suppliers and the start-up community.”
“The search for advanced mobility technologies is ever accelerating, from and between Silicon Valley, Boston and Detroit, to points all around the globe” added Milton Roye, MI Innovation Alliance co-chair. “Innovators come to GAMIC for access, mentoring and the strategic introductions that can make great technologies the right technologies. Our 80-plus judges, mentors and volunteers – from automakers, suppliers, investors and accelerators – help the teams make the critical connections today, for the vehicles and apps of tomorrow.”
Major sponsors for GAMIC 2018 include: Planet M, ESG Automotive, Sterne Kessler, Automation Alley, and Denso. For additional information visit http://www.gamicevent.org.
About GAMIC – http://www.gamicevent.org
The Global Automotive & Mobility Challenge, or GAMIC, is a catalyst to improve the speed at which early-stage automotive and mobility companies can commercialize new technologies. The competition was created to: identify innovative companies from around the world; cultivate their technologies and solutions; and hasten their adoption into the automotive industry. Participants get exposure to over 10,000 mobility experts at the GAMIC Finals during the SAE International WCX World Congress Experience each April. Winners share more than $360,000 in commercialization acceleration services and cash awards, along with facilitated introductions to the industry’s top decision-makers and influencers.
GAMIC is a sponsored activity of the MI Innovation Alliance, a 501(c)3 corporation.
About SAE International – http://www.sae.org
SAE International is a global association committed to being the ultimate knowledge source for the engineering profession. By uniting more than 127,000 engineers and technical experts, we drive knowledge and expertise across a broad spectrum of industries. We act on two priorities: encouraging a lifetime of learning for mobility engineering professionals; and setting the standards for industry engineering. We strive for a better world through the work of our philanthropic SAE Foundation, including programs like A World in Motion® and the Collegiate Design Series™.
Latest posts by Editorial Team (see all)
- American Academy of Thermology 2018 Annual Scientific Session Awarded 6.5 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 CME - May 20, 2018
- Strong Programme Raises Profile of the Maritime Standard Ship Finance and Trade Conference - May 20, 2018
- Pegasus Food Futures Announces Appointment of Stefanie Paterson as Head of Human Resources - May 20, 2018